AMAZING and simple recipe for all your LCHF needs :)
- Bacon (I used about 14 pieces for the weave and 3-4 pieces for inside the log)
- Ground sausage (use about 0.8 lbs)
- Sliced cheddar cheese (I used about 4 slices, but shredded is ok too!)
- BBQ rub
- Sugar-free BBQ sauce (I used G Hughes Sugar-free Maple Brown - the sweetness was an excellent addition!)
- Preheat oven to 250, 300, or 350°* (see cooking note below)
- Make a bacon weave! Mine ended up being about 7 x 7 slices
- Cook the remaining bacon slices and crumble into small pieces
- Shape the ground sausage into a square slightly smaller than the bacon weave. Make sure it isn't too thick! I didn't use a whole pound because I wanted more even layers
- Add a layer of rub + BBQ sauce on top of the sausage
- Lay down the cheddar cheese
- Add more rub + BBQ sauce
- Sprinkle on the crumbled bacon
- Roll everything sausage layer and above into a log (leave the bacon flat), tighten up, and make sure the sausage seals it into a coherent log
- Roll the bacon weave around the sausage log
- Coat the entire log with BBQ sauce (also re-coat when you have ~15-20 minutes of cook time left!)
- *if you've got the time, I recommend cooking at 200° for 2.5-3 hours, but you can also do 300° for 2 hours or 350° for 1-1.5 hours. Whichever you choose, make sure the log reaches and internal temperature of 160° F.
- Cut and enjoy!!
Here are the macros for about 1/12's of the log:
Carbs: <1 g
Fat: 20 g
Protein: 11 g
If pizza didn't exist, I would be the most healthy person in the world. You wouldn't believe how difficult pizza is for me to resist. The key to the healthiness of this crust is the pea protein. I buy it in bulk on Amazon, but you should be able to find it at health food stores. If you don't have flaxseed meal, almond flour, AND oat fiber, you can just substitute all of the flours for flaxseed meal or almond flour. No need to buy all three! If you want something even healthier, try out my flaxseed meal pizza crust recipe.
The pizza pictures above is approximately half of the recipe made into a BBQ chicken pizza, with my homemade low-carb BBQ sauce.
Ingredients (see above note if missing one of the flours):
6 oz grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup almond flour
2 tbsp oat fiber
2 tbsp pea protein
1.5 oz cream cheese (make sure you use regular. Low-fat often has added sugar!)
Pinch of salt (optional, the cheese brings in most of the salty flavor already)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Put all the ingredients EXCEPT the egg into a microwaveable bowl. Microwave 1 minute. Stir ingredients. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the cheeses are all melted. Add the egg and mix by hand until it is fully incorporated. Press onto a sprayed oven pan.
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust has just started to brown.
Add sauce and desired toppings. Broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!!
This recipe makes approximately 12 servings with the following nutritional information:
6 g fat
2 g carbs
1 g fiber
1 g net carb
7 g protein
I LOVE buffalo chicken!!!! You can pretty much add it to anything and it will add a nice little kick to your recipes. This sauce contains only 3 ingredients that each have 0 carbs, so it's perfect for keto or any low-carb diet. If you aren't able to handle super spicy, try neutralizing with a tiny bit of mayonnaise.
16 oz cooked chicken, shredded
1/4 cup hot sauce (check the label to make sure it doesn't have any sugar!)
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp butter, melted
Whisk together the hot sauce, vinegar, and melted butter. Pour over the shredded chicken and mix until evenly coated.
Use however you wish! I chose to put mine in a quesadilla with some cheese and mayonnaise. I highly recommend using this chicken on pizzas or flatbread.
A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine posted this video for Garlic Bread Muffins on Facebook by Tastemade UK:
DROOL!!! I knew immediately that I needed to make a low-carb version of these biscuits. After a couple of experimental batches, I finally perfected the ingredient ratios!
5 oz. unsalted butter
Garlic Salt (I use Trader Joe's - 0 carbs)
10 g cilantro
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/4 cup almond flour
3 tbsp oat fiber
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil (I use olive or coconut)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded cheese + dozen small slices
Preheat oven to 350° F. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the garlic salt and cilantro and simmer for a few minutes. Set aside. Mix together the flaxseed meal, almond flour, oat fiber, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together the oil, heavy cream, and shredded cheese. Add to the flour mixture.
Fill the bottoms of the cupcake tin with about 1/2 of the flour. Next, place a slice of cheese on top of the dough and a spoonful of the garlic butter.
Pour the rest of the batter over the cheese and then top with the remainder of the butter. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool, and enjoy!
This recipe makes 12 biscuits with the following nutritional information:
21.5 g fat
1.3 g carbs
0.5 g fiber
0.8 g net carbs
4.5 g protein
Just a former fat girl who loves food...
and her cat.
Visit me on instagram @actuallylowcarb